Things Visitors & Community Should Know about UM Libraries...
Personalized Expert Assistance
- As a community member or researcher we want to welcome you to the University of Mississippi Libraries. A subject specialist with a Masters in Library Science has been assigned to each discipline to assist you with your projects and research. A librarian is available to assist you, without an appointment, at the Reference Desk in J.D. Williams Library, or by phone, email or chat. You may also make an appointment with a subject librarian if you need in depth research assistance.
- Guides can help you find specific resources by discipline.
- University Libraries are the J.D. Williams Library (Main) and the Science Library. The Science Library is located in the Thad Cochran Research Center and houses chemistry and pharmacy collections.
- The Libraries subscribe to 231 databases with access to articles and magazines, newspapers, trade periodicals and scholarly journals. You are welcome to access databases from within the Libraries
- The Libraries provide over 640,000 e-books, 26,500 periodicals and 75,973 e-journals. Alumni with a valid driver's license may receive a borrower's card and check out library materials, subject to current circulation policies.
Archives and Special Collections
Located on the third floor of the J.D. Williams Library, the Department of Archives and Special Collections houses important collections of Mississippiana. Since 1975, our primary purpose has been to acquire, conserve, and make accessible rare books, manuscripts, maps, visual and audio materials, and ephemera related to the University of Mississippi, the state of Mississippi, and the Blues.
The Department of Archives and Special Collections invites patron visits during our regular hours from 8:00 to 5:00, Monday through Friday, except during selected University holidays.
Archives and Special Collections often host or present exhibitions, both on site and online.
- Keywords: The library newsletter Keywords is available to read online.
- Borrowing Privileges The University of Mississippi Libraries are open to all members of the University community: students, faculty and staff, as well as alumni and Mississippi residents with a valid driver's license. Circulation privileges for all categories are subject to approval. Anyone is welcome to use Library materials in the building. An adult must accompany children under the age of 12.